Amanda and Pauline spent a day in the Barossa this week, visiting Luhr’s Cottage at Light Pass and the Barossa Museum at Tanunda. So much German Lutheran heritage in one day!
We’d been invited by the Luhr’s Cottage committee to come up and see the items they have displayed in the cottage and give some advice about how to preserve them. The cottage was built in c.1847 largely of mud and straw and dust and damp has fairly easy access – a difficult environment for the many paper, textile, metal and leather items in the cottage. The cottage is a bit of an eye-opener to 19th Century living conditions in a small and isolated community. You can find out more about Luhr’s Cottage here.
It was great to see the Barossa Museum after not having been there for some years – displays changed around, a new store room and new undercover area for a select group of agricultural and transport items. The museum is a rich resource of Barossa history from the many family photographs and personal effects from early German families in the area to the hundreds of German language books that the museum has collected over many years.