• Byrne Cottage

    An 1898 furnished settlers’ cottage of pug and pine, on Pine Grove Historical Reserve, about 2.5km from Lameroo centre, in the care of the Lameroo & District Historical Society.

This simple pug and pine four roomed cottage was the home of James Byrne, one of the first farmers in the Lameroo district, and his wife Margaret.

After marrying in Adelaide in 1898, Mr and Mrs Byrne took up land in Lameroo and built this basic home. They were to have five children, some of whom were born in this house. The family later moved to farm in nearby Pinnaroo.

With its primitive structure and homemade furniture, one can appreciate the stark reality of life for the early pioneers in rural South Australia. The house is under the care of the Lameroo & District Historical Society.

There is also the Pine Grove machinery display to view in a large shed nearby on the reserve.

Heather Maynard
0488 763 630
[email protected]

Byrne Cottage

An 1898 furnished settlers’ cottage of pug and pine, on Pine Grove Historical Reserve, about 2.5km from Lameroo centre, in the care of the Lameroo & District Historical Society.