Developed by the Cadell Community and Tourist Association supported by the Australian government through its Regional Partnerships Programme, the Cadell Interpretive Centre has historical and environmental displays about Cadell as well as tourist information.
Cadell was established in 1919 as part of the Soldier Settlements Schemes along the Murray River. The first blocks were allocated in September of that year to returning soldiers for settlement and in 2019 Cadell is looking to celebrate the centenary of this event as well as creating a founding families display.
The Centre features photos and displays about the original settlement, the construction of channel irrigation and the settler’s daily lives. There are also items of local agricultural equipment and wagons displayed in the grounds such as the Dried Fruit Rotary Stemmer Grader purchased by Cadell Fruitpackers Ltd in 1923 and in continuous use for the next 50 years.
The centre is located on the corner of McGuire and Dearden Terraces in the former Central Irrigation Trust Office built in the 1930s where in the past growers ordered their water for irrigations. The Water Master and ‘Water Joeys’ took the water orders and were responsible for the operation of the channel irrigation system. One room of the building was also used as a residence by a school headmaster in the 1930s and the verandahs were used to cater for the Cadell Bowling Club until the 1960s.
Cadell-based Spook Hill Wines also uses the facility for Cellar Door events.
Groups welcome. The Centre is open for bookings.