Based at Norton Summit, in the Adelaide Hills, east of Adelaide, the East Torrens Historical Society was established in 1982. The Society has a Reading Room and Library, situated in the south-western corner of The Summit Community Centre.
The Society aims to:
- arouse interest in and to promote the study and discussion of Australian and South Australian history and, in particular, the history of the former District Council of East Torrens.
- promote the collection, recording, preservation and classification of works, source material and artefacts of all kinds relating to the former East Torrens district council area.
- assist in the protection and preservation of buildings, works and sites of historical significance in the former District Council East Torrens. To co-operate with similar Societies and other bodies throughout Australia.
In recent years a group of enthusiastic members have been meeting twice monthly to catalogue their paper based collection. The society has an extensive collection of photographs which they hope to be able to share online in the future.
Members can enjoy:
- bimonthly meetings with interesting guest speakers
- attendance at historical functions in South Australia
- trips to regional centres of historical interest.