The hall, built at the instigation of Mr Charles Marett, was opened on 16 December 1898. With seating for 300 people, it was intended as an entertainment venue for this rising beachside community in the western suburbs of Adelaide, for dances, performances and other social events.
A small private school was conducted here for about 30 years from 1904 and a library annex was added on the west side in 1908.
The building was used by many local organisations until 1963 when the library moved from the annex into the main hall.
A small committee currently manage the Institute library, which one of the few still in operation in Australia.