The Hahndorf Branch of the National Trust of South Australia was established in 1976 to research and lobby for planning controls to conserve the village of Hahndorf. This branch offers history research, heritage protection, and tours of Hahndorf. Guided tours are available for a fee by researcher and author of books, papers and articles on Hahndorf history. The branch also manages Malcolm Wicks Reserve, a nature reserve located in Lenswood, noted as a conservation area and a natural area.
The Hahndorf Branch were responsible for developing the Pioneer Women’s Trail that honours the early European settlers from Hahndorf who supplied Adelaide with fresh produce at a time when most foodstuffs had to be imported into South Australia.
In 1980 six members of the Branch, followed a map produced on 18 June 1841 by surveyor F R Nixon showing this Trail. The first public walk along its full length took place on the 20 April 1980 as part of the National Trust’s Silver Jubilee celebrations. Since then thousands of enthusiastic walkers have trodden in the footsteps of previous generations.