The museum was established by the Latvian Association of South Australia (Adelaide Latviesu Biedriiba or ALB) made up of Latvian migrants who had originally arrived in Australia on the WW2 troop carrier Nea Hellas in 1949.
During the 1950s they developed various cultural activities, meeting in private homes and public halls until purchasing a permanent house in Clark Street, Wayville. The museum came into existence after enthusiastic committee members saw the need to develop and establish a museum with items of cultural heritage for future generations. In 1968 the Association purchased two adjoining 19th century stone-fronted villas on Rose Terrace, Wayville to be used as meeting rooms, bookshop and eventually the museum.
The museum was closed in 2016 for renovations and reorganisation in preparation for Latvia’s centenary celebrations 2017-2021. However COVID restrictions caused the reopening to be delayed until Saturday 11 December 2021 when His Excellency Marģers Krams, Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the Republic of Latvia to the Commonwealth of Australia, along with Ilze Radzins, President of the Latvian Association of SA officiated proceedings. In 2018, Latvia celebrated a hundred years since it became an independent state.