Lochend was designed by George Strickland Kingston, the State’s first architect, who had also designed Ayers House, parts of Government House, the Adelaide Gaol, and the first monument to Colonel Light in Light Square.
It was built for Scottish migrant Charles James Fox Campbell who gave his name to this Adelaide suburb. Campbell arrived in South Australia in 1838 and by 1842 had built Lochend as his ‘town house’. It was built of river stone and included a stucco porch, hall and living room with a finely moulded ceiling. The roof was of wooden shingles and Campbell later added three bedrooms and a cellar. Lochend originally had four acres of garden and 156 acres of arable land in the estate.
After various owners, the property, including Lochend and Lochiel Park, was sold to the Crown in 1947 and developed by the Government as a Junior Boys Reformatory.
The property is now situated at Brentyn Court, Campbelltown (in Lochiel Park, access from Hill Street at the corner of Hart Street) is owned in trust by the City of Campbelltown, as a place of State Heritage significance, and is also listed on the Register of the National Estate. Over a six year period Lochend was restored, being officially unveiled by Campbelltown Mayor Steve Woodcock on Sunday 29 February 2004. Members of the Campbelltown Historical Society staff the building during open days.