The Historical Society aims to preserve the history of Lyndoch and surrounds and is based at the Lyndoch Library. Colonel William Light named Lynedoch Vale and the Barrosa Range (both later mis-spelled) on 13 December 1837 while camped near the current town of Lyndoch. By 1839 Lyndoch had become the first European settlement of the now famous Barossa Valley.
The Lyndoch & District Historical Society Inc was first formed in 1984 by an enthusiastic group of community minded locals. General meetings are held quarterly (January, April, July and October). Over the years the group has held many events celebrating the heritage and history of the district, including the annual Lyndoch Naming Day Anniversary on 13 December, as well as taking part in South Australia’s History Festival.
The group has published numerous pamphlets on various aspects of the town’s history, its significant buildings, community groups, cemeteries, important people and more. These are available for purchase at nominal costs.
The Society has also erected a number of interpretive signs and plaques around the town recording historic events and commemorating endeavours. The Society undertakes research on local families and has a growing database of biographical information as well as old photographs and other documents, cemetery records and Council assessment records.
There is also a small museum display of old family objects and local memorabilia in the Society’s rooms at the Lyndoch Library.
The Society is run entirely by volunteers and research is undertaken in personal time so appropriate donations are greatly appreciated as, like most volunteer organisations, funds are always in short supply. New members are always welcome.