Built in 1878-79 in the style of a Scottish baronial castle to serve as the Vice-Regal summer residence of the South Australian Governors, it replaced the old Government House at Belair. Marble Hill was destroyed by the 1955 Black Sunday bush fire. In subsequent years the ruins have been managed by the National Trust and Department of Environment and Heritage.
In 2009 Marble Hill was bought by locals Patricia and Edwin Michell who are currently restoring the building. It is only open to the public on open days and events.