Formed in 1977 as a sub-group of Mitcham Village Arts and Crafts Association, the Society has already worked to achieve designation of Mitcham Village Historic Conservation Zone, appointment of a Local History Officer and formation of the Mitcham Heritage Research Centre.
In 2007 a new chapter began, with separate incorporation and a new determination to protect and stimulate interest in local heritage.
The Mitcham Historical Society produces a regular newsletter entitled Mitcham Memories and also organises talks, walks, tours and other events relating to Mitcham local history.
Mitcham Village was surveyed in 1840 making it one of the oldest European settlements in South Australia. The local council was formed in 1853, the first outside the Adelaide CBD.