The Barossa’s oldest public building, the chapel first opened on 28 February 1844. It was built to provide a place of worship for people of all denominations and became a meeting place for many years before falling into a state of disrepair and being used as a farm building. It was restored in 1989-1994 as a Bicentennial project to commemorate the local pioneering spirit and religious freedom and was added to the Register of State Heritage in 1993.
With pew seating for a hundred people and an Angaston marble christening font, the Old Chapel is used for various different community events such as weddings, naming ceremonies and baptisms to corporate functions, exhibitions and concerts and is also the monthly meeting place for the Angaston & Penrice Historical Society. Tours of the building can be arranged.