The Salisbury and District Historical Society was formed in 1981 to promote the discussion and the study of South Australian and Australian History; in particular the history of The District of Salisbury. It aims to promote the collection, reading and classification of works source material and artifacts of all kinds. It provides access to the collection by all sections of the community.
We opened our museum, in the original Salisbury Police Station and courthouse (first built in 1859) with its associated stables and cells at 3 Ann Street Salisbury in February 1994, and add to the collection as suitable items become available. Guest Speaker evenings are held regularly with a wide variety of topics on a historical theme. Members of the public are welcome to attend. There is no charge. We share the premises with the Adelaide Northern Districts Family History Group.
The society also manages an historic waterwheel that was restored and re-established in a new brick building in 1986 in Pioneer Park on Commercial Road, known as the Salisbury Waterwheel Museum.