Originally opened in 1860 by Scottish migrant Lachlan MacFarlane as the Oakfield Hotel, it became Robert Barr Smith’s family’s summer retreat from 1878-1922 and then a convalescent home and Air Force hospital.
It was restored in 2002 and turned into a function centre by the Wallis family. Its name is Scottish-Gaelic for “holy place of oaks”.
The current Ballroom features the original William Morris wallpaper, lead light windows and high ceilings. Originally the Barr Smiths’ drawing room, it dates back to 1880. The Barr Smiths were amongst the best customers of renowned London Arts and Crafts designer William Morris.