Centenary Hall is located on the corner of May Terrace and Verco Street. It has a colourful history and is the oldest church building still standing in Balaklava. Opened in 1878 as the house of worship for the Church of Christ, it was subsequently used as a hall for the Druids, a Masonic Lodge and Balaklava’s first High School, becoming the Folk Museum in 1977. It now houses a large collection of local historical records and photographs as well as war memorabilia and household, dental and hospital items (including the first use of Penicillin in Australia). There is also a tribute to Alf Traeger, the inventor of the pedal wireless that helped the Rev. John Flynn bring communications to Australia’s outback.
The Centenary Hall Folk Museum is one of two sites operated by the Balaklava Museum Inc community group which was formed in 2004. Their other site is the Urlwin Park Agricultural Museum on May Terrace.
Prior to 2004, the group had been a branch of the National Trust of South Australia since 1975, originally being established as the Balaklava and District Historical Society in 1972.