The Barmera Branch of the National Trust looks after Napper’s Accommodation House, the ruins of an important stopping place on the overland stock route built by William Napper in 1863 and the Loveday Reserve which supports over 55 species of native plants with conservation significance in South Australia.
The Barmera Branch relocated to the Cobdogla Irrigation and Steam Museum in 1988 and occupy the former Steam Plant Building. Here one of their exhibitions tells the story of the Loveday Internment camp, set up in 1941 during the Second World War and one of the largest in Australia. There are exhibits of work tools used by internees, a scale model of Camp 9, which housed the Italians, and some examples of their clever handiwork, including a set of hand-made wooden bowling balls.
A small Riverland town, Loveday was proclaimed in 1940. It was chosen as a suitable site for internees because it was piped for irrigation.
One can also see the display featuring the Loveday Internment Camp Collection at the Barmera Visitor Information Centre.