The Loveday Internment Camp Collection at the Barmera Visitor Information Centre displays information and artifacts from this important part of Barmera’s rich regional history.
The Loveday Internment camp, covering approximately 180 hectares or 440 acres, was one of the largest in Australia. Located near Barmera on the Murray River, it was established in 1941 and was made up of four separate compounds linked by areas of land that were cleared and cultivated by the internees. It also included accommodation for personnel of the 25/33 Garrison Battalion who provided the camp guard. The site was chosen because selected because of its rail and road connections, its irrigated fields and because both electricity and telephone communications were available.
The Loveday Internment Camp consisted of German, Italian and Japanese internees from the various states of Australia, and internees and prisoners of war from the Netherlands East Indies, the Pacific Islands, New Zealand, Britain and the Middle East. Loveday Camp closed in December 1946.
As well as this display at the Barmera Visitor Information Centre, there is also an exhibition about the Loveday Internment Camp including artefacts at the Cobdogla Irrigation and Steam Museum, maintained by the Barmera National Trust.
Tours of the ruins of Loveday Camp can also be arranged. The Barmera Visitor Information centre is located at the top of the main shopping precinct in Barwell Avenue.